Friday, July 20, 2007

Confessions of a lax blogger

Yes, truth be told I have been appallingly remiss in my blogging, and indeed now should be writing an essay on aestheticism in Hugo von Hofmannsthal's 'Der Tor und Der Tod,' but it is amazing the lengths one will go to to avoid objectionable assignments.
Anyway, last time I revealed that Tuebingen was considered to have the highest quality of life of any city in Germany. After having lived here for 9 months, I can easily believe this to be so. I was told when I arrived by a bearded native that Tuebingen existed in its own bubble of security, and it seems to be true, ridiculous though it sounds crime seems to be negligable save the odd grafitti outbreak, and even that a) stays off tiled murals (although the bits of concrete that abutted it were covered and b) appears to be largley gnomic statements about Currywurst. The worst example of crime I have seen was a wooden palette some miscreants had smashed up. last semester at about 2am a small group of cars (a rare sight after dark here) pulled up not far from us and disgorged what I shall call youths, complete and replete with hoodies and swagger. They took from their vast pockets small exploding pellets, the name of which escapes me, but which were used by Fred Astaire in the film 'Holiday Inn' and are the sort of things William might fire at a cat. They threw them on the ground where they (the projectiles, not the youths) made satisfying 'bang' noises. Patience and/or ammunition thus exausted, The boys (for they were all male) returned to their respective cars and drove them away. This is the most threatened I've ever felt here.
From a healthcare perspective the town is tripping over its own clinics, figuratively, with at least 5, including what seems to be a tropical diseases clinic. I had a postcard from the 1970s (now dispatched) with views of the clinics aranged in a rather pleasing hexagon around the word 'Tuebingen.' This, along with a 30% student population (average age: 23) makes Tuebingen pretty well sorted medically.
Tomorrow I shall be reading the new Harry Potter book, just like everybody else. It's not something I'm proud of but I do need to read it quite urgently

1 Comments:

Blogger Christine McIntosh said...

Your epistolary style now reminds me of one ABF, who posts comments on my blog. This is no bad thing, BTW - he is not lacking in wit or brains.
I think you should remove the spam comments from your last post - have you thought of putting the word recognition feature on this page?

4:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home