Friday, November 03, 2006

Best Detective Yarns on Record!

I had ready another picture of Tuebingen and a story to accompany it, but after an emotionally, if not physically, draining day I settled down to read an adventure of Sexton Blake in an issue of 'The Union Jack' magazine I have, from 1910. The inside covers of these magazines are given over entirely to advertisements, one of which piqued my interest somewhat, so I've attempted to reproduce it here. Again I plead camera insufficiency, but it can be seen that it concerns growing a moustache.
I shall reproduce the text below, with formatting faithful to the original

GROW A MOUSTACHE.
A smart, manly moustache speedily grows at any age by using
"Mousta," the only true Moustace Forcer. Remember, Success
positively guaranteed. Boys become men. Acts like magic. Box
sent (in plain cover) for 6d and 1d for postage. Send 7d to-
J.A.DIXON & CO., 42, Junction Road, London, N (Foreign orders, 9d)


More about Tuebingen tomorrow, when I hope to go a-roaming, a-using my Semester Bus Ticket, which for 38 Euros gives me local bus travel until the end of March

1 Comments:

Blogger Christine McIntosh said...

Boys may become men by growing a moustache, but there *are* other ways - don't do it ....!

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home