Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Festival time and Nazi Swing Music

2nd of August counts as Festival time I think, and this year I have some small employment, so may even be able to afford it. To quickly plug myself, I shall be dj-ing throughout the festival fairly regularly in the Forest Cafe, on Bristo Place, which is very exciting for me and should be fun to boot.
Not much else to report other than that I recently discovered Charlie and his Orchestra, the aforementioned Nazi swing band, broadcasted by the Nazis to America and Canada as propoganda during the second world war. They played swing hits of the day, but rewritten to make them anti-American, for the most part. When recommending these songs, preserved by some fluke of history, they of course come with the caveat that I enjoy and am fascinated by them as historical documents, and no not agree with the sentiments expressed therein. A quick google should turn up mp3s for those interested, and here's the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_and_his_orchestra
A separate rant about wikipedia's inaccuracies would take too long, but it makes my job a bit easier

1 Comments:

Blogger jdpeiper said...

Well, you have it wrong in a way.
They were broadcast originally to the UK. For example, sung to the tune of Bye Bye Blackbirds,
I Never Cared For You Before, Hong Kong Burma, Sinapore.
Bye,Bye Empire. India I may lose to, then all I'll have is the London Zoo ... Bye Bye Empire.

Then the song Avalon ... Clearly meant for England. You Lost Your All At Sinapore, then Sailed away.

Who Is That Man, With the Big Cigar?
All these and more aimed at the Brits. Americans came much later but not quite as much.

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home